The foreign policy of Nepal is guided by the abiding faith in the United Nations and policy of nonalignment. The basic principles guiding the foreign policy of the country include:
- Mutual respect for each other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty;
- Non-interference in each other’s internal affairs
- Respect for mutual equality
- Non-aggression and the peaceful settlement of disputes
- Cooperation for mutual benefit
The foreign policy of Nepal is also guided by the international law and other universally recognized norms governing international relations. The value of world peace also constitutes a significant element guiding the foreign policy of the country.