Passport Service (Click Here for Nepali)
The Government of Nepal started issuing Machine Readable Passport since 26 December 2010. As per the provision of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), all handwritten passports must be replaced with Machine Readable Passports (MRPs) by 24 November 2015. Individuals holding hand-written passports are not able to travel abroad effective from 24 November 2015 irrespective of the date of expiry mentioned in the handwritten passport.
Before submitting your application through mail or drop off, you must first submit your details Here and continue below for the application. We will return back your application if we do not receive your details.
Requirements for renewing old passport through Live Enrollment System Apply Here
Requirements for renewing old passport Apply Here
Requirements for obtaining new MRP in place of Lost or Stolen passport Apply Here
Requirements for obtaining new MRP in place of damaged/tempered passport Apply Here
Requirements for obtaining new MRP for minor (Under 10 years of age) Apply Here
Requirements for obtaining new MRP for minor (10-16 years of age) Apply Here
Procedure for obtaining Machine Readable Passport:
Machine Readable Passport is prepared within three months of a duly registered application form along with the required documents. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply for new Machine Readable Passport at least 6 months prior to the expiry of the old passport. The applicants will receive the new Machine Readable Passport in the previously sent return envelope after the arrival of the new passport. Applicants wishing to obtain the new Machine Readable Passport in the Embassy must present in person along with the receipt and the old passport.
Procedure for filling the passport application Form
Procedure for printing passport application Form
Download application form Here
Download application for a Machine Readable Passport Here
Points to be remembered while applying for Machine Readable Passport:
- Passport application form must be duly filled in an A4 size paper (29.7cm X 21.1cm) with printed area size of 27cm X 18.5 cm (Length and Breadth). If you are unable to get the required paper size and print the application form as per the instructions, you can send a prepaid return envelope of 9” X 12” size) with tracking number requesting the application form to the Embassy of Nepal in following address. You can also submit the forms in person at the Embassy during the working days.
Embassy of Nepal
2131 Leroy Place NW
Washington, DC 20008
- The copies of old passport must include the particulars of next of kin and any amendments, if necessary. Copy of all the pages of the old passport is not required.
- The copies of Citizenship Certificate must contain both the sides of it. If you do not have the original Citizenship Certificate and submit the copy only, the Embassy has to verify the authentication of the copy through the concerned District Administration Office in Nepal. In such a situation the processing of the passport application form will take more time than the normal processing time. Normally, the Machine Readable Passport is provided within three months of the duly registered application along with the required documents.
- Photo standard: Border less, color, white background, eyes open, clearly visible ears, neutral expression of face, face coverage 70-80% of photo area, no ink spread, no shadow with size of 35mmX45mm or 2 inch X 2 inch. Please send photographs safely in a small plastic zip with printed name on the back.
- Revenue fees is sent in the form of money order or cashier cheque with at least one year’s validity period payable to the Embassy of Nepal, with the full name and address of the applicant written on it.
Note: Cash, personal cheque and credit card are not acceptable.
- In case of applicants with lost passport, the Embassy has to verify the authentication of the documents through the concerned authorities in Nepal; hence, processing time takes usually more than three months.
- The police report (in case of lost passport) must contain the name of the passport holder, lost passport number, issue and expiry date of lost passport. Police report with incomplete information will disqualify your application.
- The applicant above 16 years of age having the Nabalik Parichayapatra (Minor Certificate) or Birth Certificate only receives the Machine Readable Passport with two year validity period. It is mandatory to submit the original Citizenship Certificate to obtain Machine Readable Passport with 10 year validity period.
- Original Marriage Certificate is necessary if the applicant wishes to change or add the surname in the Machine Readable Passport apart from the name in the Citizenship Certificate.
- Nepali women married to foreigners but not having acquired foreign citizenship must retain their Nepali surname even if they wish to include the surname of their spouse.
- You are requested to verify all the information in the form as mentioned the procedure for filling the passport application form before sending or submitting to the Embassy. Please note that the incomplete and invalid forms will be returned back to your address for correction and you are responsible for all the postal/courier charges associated with it.
- Submission of forged documents and making false declaration relating to passport and citizenship certificate is a punishing offence. Action will be taken against such applicants as per the prevailing law.
- You are required to submit or mail all the documents in a 9”X12” size envelope with tracking number. An additional self-addressed (with full name and address of the applicant) prepaid return envelope with tracking number must be included along with the application to send the prepared Machine Readable Passport back to your address. If you are sending more than one applications together, you are advised to enclose separate self-addressed prepaid return envelope for each applicant. The Embassy will not be responsible for the loss and damage of any documents while Toing and Froing through the postal service.
- The Embassy collects the applications and dispatches them in a group to the Department of Passport, Narayanhity, Kathmandu for further processing. Normally, the complete passport application process takes about three months. Please be informed that once your Machine Readable Passport is received by the Embassy, it will be dispatched/distributed to you after completing the official procedure.
- The field with asterisk (*) marks in the passport application forms are mandatory. Any unfilled, wrong and incomplete field in the application form is rejected by the system in the Department of Passport, Nepal.
- Applicants residing in Tri States (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) are requested to contact the Consulate General of Nepal, New York in the following address for consular services.
Consulate General of Nepal in New York:
216 E 49th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY-10017
Fax: 917 675 6779
Phone: 917 675 6783
Working hours: Monday – Friday 9 am to 5 pm
Consular Service: 9:30 am to 1:30 pm